Saturday, July 2, 2011

Don't Make Me Eat That

I am all for creativity, but not with things I ingest. I just read a recipe from a "famous chef" wherein it is suggested I take a quantity of juicy, delightful God-given strawberries, drench them with oil and vinegar and grill them, then smother the lot with blue cheese and slap it on a slice of toasted bread, or in this case, a crostini, which sounds better. With all due respect to my good friend Gabby, a superb cook in her own right who brought it to my attention with a thumbs-up, I must say, "gag me with a spoon."

It reminds me of my dinner a few weeks ago at a local restaurant called Grace, which is located inside an old church. (Cute name.) My husband and I had heard it was "fantastic," and who doesn't want a fantastic meal? After we ate there, we wanted one even more. First, we could hardly find anything appealing on the menu, since everything that started out healthy had been downgraded to junk food. The fresh salmon was "maple-glazed." (Yuk.) The lamb chops were "encrusted" with pecans. (Barf.) Finally we each ordered something, and when the odd-looking entrees arrived, I swear there were things on our plates we simply could not identify by sight or taste.

Something is surely lacking in our culture that causes us to seek excitement through the alimentary canal. Give me a banana and a bowl of oatmeal any day.

4 comments:

  1. Samuel Jason AggerJuly 2, 2011 at 8:58 AM

    HA! Andrea Rouda, once again, has it right! Scuse me, I've gotta go get my banana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried the "thumbs up" recipe. I was giving my good friend encouragement for doing a video. Though, I have tried strawberries with balsamic vinager and it is very good.

    Gabby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maple-glazed? Pecan encrusted? Get with the program, baby! With the cool kids, it's all about liquid nitrogen. http://www.salon.com/food/francis_lam/2010/07/16/cooking_with_liquid_nitrogen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keith, you are my hero--that explains our dessert at the very same restaurant that night! It was called Fried Milk Balls, and we ordered it because A, nothing else sounded any better and B, it was intriguing, to say the least. After reading the link you sent, I see that's how they made it; with liquid nitrogen. (By the way, it was gross and inedible.)

    ReplyDelete

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...