Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Old Friends Die Hard

My wise, old (dead) shrink told me this: "Notice the expression on someone's face when you first meet them; what you see in the first ten minutes of knowing someone, before they are trying to impress you or seduce you, is what you eventually will get, for good."

I am thinking about this because of Anonymous, a reader of this blog who leaves comments which I delete, sparing my readers his unpleasantness. I think Anonymous is my ex-best friend Richard. Although we were the closest of friends for more than 35 years, for 20 of them he hid the fact that he was gay, not from everyone but from me, instead allowing me to feel sorry for his being alone when all the time there was a guy in the closet with him. I found out the truth when a mutual friend laughingly said, "of course he is gay!" Yes, Richard reluctantly admitted it-- but what was I thinking to remain in that relationship after such duplicity?

Last year our friendship ended abruptly following a four-day visit, during which Richard described our time together as "delicious" and saying it was "the best time he had had in years, with anyone." Then silence-- no explanation, no phone calls, no nothing. And now blog-stalking.  I am racking my brain trying to remember how he looked in those first ten minutes, but alas, 1970 is a long way back.

5 comments:

  1. Well, maybe that person just has "issues". You always know it is me when I leave a message.

    GL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, GL,and you know I appreciate all your comments, and your signature!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, I don't comment often but do read your blog - this is creepy and very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is deneb and I can't get my google account to work on your blog. if I select it as my profile I am jutted back to the sign in page which I sign in. Then it takes me back to a blank comment box and it starts all over again.
    so I use anonymous for this reason. I am pretty sure you know it's me even if I were to forget to sign my name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But now we can mess with your head by posting weirdness from anonymous. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hell In New York City

Jew-hater. The fat, ugly woman pictured above -- and yes she is fat and yes she is ugly -- is also an ignorant, Jew-hating racist. She was s...