Monday, May 9, 2011

Too Much Stuff

SOMETIMES I long for those bygone days of apartment living: kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, dining room. So little space, but all I needed. Now I walk around our roomy house and wonder, what's all this space for?

My husband and I live in a 2-story home on a couple of acres of ground. No McMansion, it's plenty big, still modest by some standards; for example, Bill and Melinda Gates would probably use it as a dollhouse. It's got three bedrooms, three bathrooms, a kitchen, a dining room, a family room, a living room, an attic and a basement. There's also a screened porch and a deck with a hot tub. Here's the rub: Mitch travels frequently for his profession, and try as I might, I can only be in one room at a time. Even worse, all those rooms are full of stuff.

Many people spend a lifetime striving for more, right up until they wish they had less. I see this often in my consignment shop, where seniors who are "downsizing" seek to shed their once-valued possessions. "My kids don't want it," they complain. Or else, after Mom and Dad are gone--either to the Great Beyond or just to Assisted Living--those same kids haul in the stuff, now downgraded to junk, and ask us to "get rid of it at any price." Seeing this ritual up close makes me nervous: Will my own son one day simply trash everything I leave behind? Probably. That realization makes it hard to go shopping. But what if I live to be 95? The next 30 years could be bleak...

3 comments:

  1. HOORAY!!!! STOP SHOPPING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. read an article today -- I think in the WSJ but maybe the Times -- about how folks our age are moving into college-style apartments . .. Group housing, in college towns . . . those were the days they were happiest . . . and they find they are happier when they move back there . . .
    So much less stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I LOVE your writing. More than your writing . . .your thinking. Last two sentences were powerful and profound . . . crystallized the problem . . .

    My grandmother never had a winter coat all the time I knew her because she thought it would be a waste to buy a new one after she turned 65. She lived to be 99.

    ReplyDelete

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...