Monday, May 9, 2011

It's Cold Up Here, and I Don't Mean the Weather

THE following email, which I received today, conveys the typical Mainer's idea of friendship: "How are you feeling? You sounded like death warmed over last week, so I do hope you didn't get it too bad. Happy belated mother's day."

Let me explain. I'd been sick for two weeks with a bad cold which turned into an ear infection, blah, blah blah. Doctor visit, antibiotics, coughing, sneezing, general yukkiness. It was during this phase that my friend called me hoping to meet for lunch. Her call woke me and I managed to croak that I was too ill to go out. I then hung up mid-sentence, unable to speak any longer. Indeed, as she noticed, I sounded-- and felt-- like "death warmed over." 

Now I don't know about you, but where I come from, which is New York, death warmed over deserves a follow-up phone call, not an email. Besides being distant and frosty, how else would she know if I died?

4 comments:

  1. Oh Andrew. Times have changed. At one point a phone call would have been considered frosty and distant compared to a drop by. Don't look now, but text msg inquiries are around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you really think that? How bleak will our future be when all genuine human interaction is replaced with technological gadgetry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the frosty picture!

    As for the bleakness, well its funny . . . I agree that a text message is a far cry from a hug. But -- for instance -- I feel a lot closer to Keith since facebook came along. Dont think I called him ever, and now we argue frequently.

    Miss ya sweetie, see ya tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you were sick. I have been outa town and cel phone coverage for 3 days. Let's talk soon....
    Didn't you get my funny fb link to my new favorite comedian? The Mothers' Day bit was funny, don't you think? And did you watch the one entitled "The Tree" I loved that one. "This Year, Last Year"?

    ReplyDelete

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...