Friday, April 1, 2011

Only (April) Fools Worry

For the last two days I have worried about an impending snowstorm that has failed to impend. Now, being a true American, I'm wondering who I can sue for my mental anguish. A huge "Nor'easter" was predicted to hit and bring feet of snow to my town of Freeport, Maine. As luck would have it, my husband and I were headed out of town to Rhinebeck, New York for a long weekend---but wait a minute-- the snow would be even worse there!

The night before our departure I could barely sleep, imagining our potentially horrific drive through the Berkshires: Mitch and I would surely slide into a ditch on the Mass Turnpike, or rather off the Mass Turnpike! I dreaded leaving my cats behind at home, where power outages were already being predicted from the sure-to-be wet and heavy snow accumulating on the trees and breaking limbs and downing wires! My cats would be alone in a cold dark house for four days! The neighborhood girl who comes to feed them wouldn't be able to make it there through the falling tree limbs and icy weather conditions! Friends called with new snow totals: four to eight, six to twelve, up to 20 inches!

We made the drive without so much as a raindrop hitting the windshield. (Phew--dodged a bullet!) Yet my sleep was troubled a second night as the storm was reportedly still on its way! I awoke at 5 AM and ran to the window like a school kid hoping for a snow day....and saw about half an inch of white stuff, on the grass only, with snow tapering off. Now those very same weather folks are saying, never mind, it's just a little wet snow turning to rain in a few hours, just some slush with mild temps in the high 40's and what a beautiful weekend we have coming....

Guess I'm the April fool.

3 comments:

  1. I think they're still getting gobs of snow at home though!
    Anyone got a ground report from Maine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is snowing to beat the band here and the wind has picked up. UGH

    GL

    ReplyDelete
  3. foot of snow up at Sugarloaf and more predicted overnight....Brunswick got about a foot and so did Freeport!

    ReplyDelete

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...