Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Wanna Smell Like This?

You've got to wonder about some of those advertising folks. This morning I read that Zippo, as in Zippo lighters, will begin manufacture of other products since smoking is so politically incorrect and their sales are slipping. Sounds reasonable, but is Zippo cologne the right answer? Their marketing director swears it doesn't smell like lighter fluid, but I can think of roughly one million other fragrances I'd buy first, were I shopping for such an item.

But who am I to judge? I'm no "marketing expert," whatever that is and however they get that way. I am just a lowly consumer, and thus not privy to the meetings behind closed doors in which they decide onthe wisdom of such things as talking mops and geckos hawking insurance. "Commercials, who needs 'em, I say. But apparently many people do and respond positively, which is why they proliferate. Maybe if we all just stop buying those items we see advertised we could get some relief from the constant noise suggesting we try, buy and use all that indispensable stuff we don't need yet can't live without.

1 comment:

  1. Probably the same marketers that come up with TV show ideas.

    GL

    ReplyDelete

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...