Sunday, March 6, 2011

What's It Worth?


Last week I posted an ad on Craigslist on my husband's behalf. Mitch has a great idea for a book and wants me to write it, since I have the time and he doesn't and I'm a writer and he isn't. I won't, because he's a political animal and I'm not. I can't imagine spending my time fleshing out a dastardly scenario involving warring Democrats and Republicans. Instead I suggested finding an interested writer who might be willing to get involved.

Our ad read: "I have a well-developed, detailed idea for a book I believe will be hugely popular and profoundly meaningful, with big movie potential. It deals with our volatile political climate, conjuring a believable and horrific future. I am a professional executive in a large company and have no time to put my thoughts on paper. This is where you come in! I am looking for a partner willing to do a 50/50 share of all the work for the same split of all the proceeds. I am eager to talk to experienced writers with published credits only."

Since posting the ad I have received about ten replies from alleged "professional" writers. Two registered anti-Semitic sentiments. Three others were quite respectful and very interested in the project. The other five wrote incredibly snide, sarcastic and hateful comments about the fact that we were advertising a project and offering no pay. Several of the respondents wrote back repeatedly, one three times. Then today we received an apologetic note from Craigslist saying our ad had been "flagged as inappropriate" and removed.

Jeez...what gives? It's not like we were twisting anyone's arm or anything. Why do people always think the worst right off the bat? Why do so many people hate strangers? What was so offensive about that ad? Wanna write a book?

4 comments:

  1. sadly I have no published credits. but I would write with you.

    there is NOTHING offensive about the ad. I would ask craig's list for more information.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously, any takers?

    really good idea . . . pretty well worked out . . .

    need a writer with talent for character development

    ReplyDelete
  3. unfortunately there are at least 7 people who won't buy the book. Wish I could write and those 7 will wish that they did.

    GL

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS, nothing is wrong with the ad.

    GL

    ReplyDelete

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...