Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What's So Great About Being Happy?

Total strangers who share my life for mere minutes in my consignment shop tell me their personal problems, completely unsolicited, and it's no damn picnic. And though the saying goes, "the customer is always right," I do start to wonder if anyone is happy, ever--after all, these are the people out shopping! (God knows what's up with the people filling all the hospitals or confined to our prisons or sleeping on the streets, going hungry or dying in a hospice.) And yet they are still miserable, complaining to anyone who will listen even as they pick out a new dining room table or a pair of silver candlesticks.

Humans are capable of an entire range or emotions, yet the most popular one by far is represented by that yellow Smiley Face; anything less than :) or :D and you are considered unstable, weird, a bummer or downright nuts. What's so great about being happy? Is it so terrible to be unhappy? Is being in a bad mood such a crime? Do we all have to smile all the time and say "cheese" for pictures? Who says a frown (such a funny word) is not photogenic?

I suspect the suicide rate would plummet if all those angry and depressed people didn't think their feelings were unwarranted. Let's raise a glass to unhappiness....another way to live.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Here's to warranted feelings!

    I don't care about being happy anymore.

    Actually, I don't think I ever really cared about it. I like it. But I am not aiming for it.

    I am aiming for a pile of pleasures. Like those darling little goldfinches. good buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard our emotional selves compared to the weather, always changing. I love it when people feel comfortable enough with me to share their struggles, connects us in a deeper way. The happiest people place I have ever visited in my life was in Salt Lake, on the Temple tour. Would love to hear your Salt Lake stories!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...