Thursday, January 27, 2011

Travel is So Broadening

I am in Chicago, having accompanied my husband on a business trip. It is snowing, which is a nice touch considering it is January and this is Chicago.

We are staying in a large hotel on Michigan Avenue, which is known as the Magnificent Mile. Within walking distance there are many stores, each selling outrageously high-priced items. According to the hotel website, this locale is "one of the top ten hospitality, fine dining and retail districts in the world, making it one of the Great Avenues of the World." Just for the sheer experience of it all, I had to dip my toes into the vast ocean of high-end consumer goods. After all, in just two days I'll be back in the land of outlet shopping and L.L. Bean.

First I entered Ralph Lauren's three-story mausoleum/boutique. I was instantly intimidated by the over-the-top merchandising: There were fireplaces with real fires burning! Bookshelves lined the walls, which were covered in rich fabrics! Plaid curtains, chintz-covered couches, framed prints of hunting dogs, and actual hunting dogs! I felt too Jewish and ran for the exit.

Next I went into Saks. I saw right away that the salespeople were dressed better than I was, and thus they ignored me, assuming I was just seeking shelter from the storm. (What works fine in Maine looks like a bag lady in Chicago.)  All the saleswomen--and one man--in Cosmetics sported colorful eye shadow, lush mascara, pink blushers and bright red lips. They must have found my lack of makeup appalling; a few asked, suggestively, if I wanted "help." I said no thanks, just looking. Wandering through Accessories, I inspected and rejected handbags that cost as much as our monthly mortgage. (Not kidding.) I tried on hats I couldn't afford. Feeling dowdy, I left.

In Neiman Marcus I at least felt like I was the right religion, even if most things were out of my league. A bored sales clerk took pity on me and actually smiled and said hello. I rewarded her by purchasing a pair of gloves for $135.00. Ha, bet she didn't see that coming!

2 comments:

  1. you did not! really you did? better be one really nice pair of gloves.
    Enjoy the magnificent mile...Chris's dad's office was on Michigan avenue for 50 years - he was a shrink - maybe he could've helped you with some of those negative feelings. No, not really, he wasn't very good. LOL
    So you might be moving there? little bird told me. best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little bird has some wrong info--you could not PAY me to move here! The traffic, the congestion...oy vay!

    As for the gloves: Deb, it is VERY COLD in Maine and believe it or not, Bean's does not sell sheepskin-shearling gloves, which I desperately need. These are UGGs for your hands. I had a pair for more than five years that I guarded with my life, but alas finally lost them. (I would have paid even more...cheaper than frostbite surgery!)

    ReplyDelete

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...