Friday, January 14, 2011

A Shaggy Dog Story

As I drove onto my street at about 4 PM today, returning from a quick errand, I encountered a police officer standing in the road and holding out a treat to a neighbor’s dog. In his other hand was a harness used for collaring animals. Since I know the dog well, I stopped and asked if I could be of some assistance.

The officer said he had received a complaint against the dog, who goes by the name of Sage, and was preparing to impound her. I offered to call the owner on my cell phone, which he approved, but there was no answer. I next furnished the officer with the names of Sage's owners, as well as their phone number and clear directions to their home.

At this point he asked for my name, address and phone number, all of which I cheerfully supplied.  He then asked my date of birth. I asked why he needed that, and he said it was for “his report.” I said, “I don’t tell my age,” only half-joking, and he then demanded to see my driver’s license. Things were turning nasty, and by "things" I mean the cop. I then said I wanted nothing further to do with the situation and that I had only been trying to help. 

I returned to my car and drove home, annoyed by this young officer’s poor attitude and total lack of respect for a “senior citizen.” (I am, by the way, 64.) Sage, no dummy, followed my car and went to my back door, which she does all the time in hopes of getting a treat.

The officer, who bore a striking resemblance to the T-1000 in "The Terminator," followed me home in his patrol car and sat out front for about four minutes. He then came to my door. I saw him through the glass panes and refused to open it, asking what he wanted. He became adamant, saying I had to “come outside,” that I had to “deliver the dog to him,” and that he needed to verify my identity, saying, “You are an unknown person.” He had just watched me enter my own home using my own key, he had all my personal information, and yet he demanded me to come outside because he wanted “to talk to me.” He refused to leave my doorstep and continued to glower at me through the glass. I was literally afraid of him and so I retreated further into my home and called the police. Only after I saw the officer's patrol car leave the neighborhood about ten minutes later did I feel safe enough to venture outside and walk my own dog.

The bottom line: The officer was threatening in tone and demeanor, far beyond what was necessary. I sincerely hope he gets a few sessions with a good psychologist; at the very least, he needs training in how to deal with the public in a less threatening manner. Having met him, I feel less safe about living in my community, and this is a tiny town in rural New England; I can only imagine the level of police intimidation that goes on in our inner cities.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry it wasn't pleasant.

    GL

    ReplyDelete
  2. To say the least! Sorry I roped you into a not-funny story, but I felt it was important for all citizens to be aware...not all the cops are good guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did he show you his badge and identification? I have heard stories about police impersonators so I am glad you did not let him in your home. This is a very disturbing event. I am so sorry that happened to you. Enough already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point, Deb: I did not see his badge OR ID...he was wearing a little pin with his name on it. Then when I called about him, there was really an officer of that name. Oy.

    ReplyDelete

My Challenge to Katie Couric

Perky though she may be, or may have been in her younger days when she was paid to be, Katie Couric is no brainiac. Calling half of America ...